Abortion is not a decision to be taken lightly. However one arrives at this choice, it is important to know the risks involved. They range from normal side effects to be experienced to life-changing ones in addition to the emotional toll it can take. Here are possible side effects of abortion.
For the first couple of weeks it is common to experience:
- Light bleeding
- Breast tenderness
- Failed or incomplete abortion
- Perforated uterus
- Damage to the cervix potentially leading to cervical incompetence in subsequent pregnancies
- Blood loss
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease – an infection that has spread into the pelvic cavity leaving behind scar tissue that can lead to infertility
- Septic Shock – an infection that spreads to the bloodstream
When to call the doctor:
- Fever greater than 100.4
- Foul smelling vaginal discharge
- Severe abdominal pain not relieved by pain medication
- Heavy bleeding (Soaking more than 2 maxi pads per hour)
- Passing large clots
From an emotional standpoint, some women do well, even feeling relief after the procedure is over. For others, it is an emotionally traumatic event. It often depends on a variety of factors. Those more likely to struggle include women who have a history of mental illness; women who are pressured into having the abortion; the spiritual beliefs the woman has about abortion; and those who believe life begins at conception.
The emotions that a woman may struggle with include:
The emotional toll can become severe enough to impact the woman’s daily life. It is important for those who are struggling to talk with their healthcare provider and seek further help.
The choice to pursue abortion is not one to be easily made. The procedure comes with risk, not only in the immediate future but possibly long-term as well. The best you can do is educate yourself well before deciding which road to take.